Tossed in olive oil and flavored with garlic powder, these homemade croutons will add the perfect crunch and flavor to your favorite salad.
In my humble opinion, some of the best salads are topped with homemade croutons. My mother would make homemade croutons for our salads at dinner growing up. They were so good that we would sneak picking at them while she was preparing the rest of the dinner. Although we got caught lots of times haha. They are so yummy and full of flavor and that flavor transfers over to your salad.
Why You Will Love This Crouton Recipe
- These homemade croutons are so easy to make. This recipe is not tedious at all and does not take long to make. Croutons are something you can decide to whip up last minute. One of my pet peeves is wanting to make a recipe and then looking at the time that goes into it and realizing I have to plan for it better since it is more time consuming. This recipe is the total opposite.
- You most likely have all these ingredients already. The ingredients that go into croutons are extremely simple and probably things that are in your kitchen in the first place.
- They are part of a no waste mentality. I hate wasting food. Making croutons is a great way to avoid food waste. If you won’t be able to use up your bread in time these are a great way to use it up.
- Croutons last a long time. Of course, croutons are best to eat on the day you make them because they will taste the freshest. Although, they will store in an airtight container for up to two weeks.
Bread (cut into cubes)
Tools You May Need
Medium sized bowl
Measuring spoon and cups
How to Make Croutons Step-by-Step
Start by preheating your oven to 350. Then, cut your bread into rough square pieces. The type of bread you use really does not matter at all. I had leftover homemade artisan bread that needed to be used so I went with that.
After your bread is cut into squares, put it in a medium sized bowl and massage olive oil into it.
Next, add the garlic powder, dried basil, dried oregano, and salt to the oiled bread squares and toss.
Spread the oiled and seasoned bread squares into one layer on a cookie sheet. Make sure there is no over lapping. This will help with even toasting.
Bake in preheated oven until lightly browned and crispy, about 15 minutes.
Top your favorite salad with these delicious croutons! Store any extras in an airtight container.
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 cups bread (cut into cubes)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Start by preheating your oven to 350.
- Then, cut your desired bread into rough squares.
- Place cut bread squares into medium sized bowl and coat with olive oil. Toss and massage that olive oil into your bread to ensure even distribution.
- Repeat step 3 with the garlic powder, dried oregano, dried basil, and salt.
- Once covered in oil and spices, spread onto a cookie sheet in one layer.
- Place into your preheated oven and bake for about 15 minutes or until lightly browned and crispy. Be sure to check frequently.
- Top your favorite salad with these crispy and full of flavor croutons.
- Store any extras in an airtight container or Ziploc bag.
More fun recipes from the ladies at Brickhouseongreen: