This homemade no knead bread is easy to bring together, crusty on the outside, and soft on the inside. It tastes great dipped in your favorite soup, used for a sandwich, or simple with butter spread on it!
When I got married, I wanted to make as many things from scratch as possible. Which meant buying from the store as little as possible. Hence why we got chickens!
Although, one of the biggest things we gave up buying was bread. We started making our sandwich bread from scratch. I use this sandwich bread recipe. Even before we got married, making homemade no knead bread was a frequent thing. It was so easy to bring together and required very little hands-on help. Although, when I would have to shape it into a ball, it was a pain to work with. The dough was so sticky that even flouring the work surface didn’t do much. Which also meant not a fun cleanup. So, after lots of sticky bread making, motivation finally happened to create a recipe that was a better fit for us.
This recipe is a perfect fit for someone who is new to bread making. You don’t have to worry about any techniques when making it. It is also so stress free. Start your bread making journey with this! If I can make bread, so can you! You can bring it together and let it sit on your countertop while you go accomplish other tasks. Now that is my kind of recipe!
Tools You May Need
Medium sized bowl
Dough scraper (not a necessity but super helpful)
Dutch oven or a crock with a lid (both work great)
Ingredients for No Knead Bread
Active dry yeast
How to Make No Knead Bread Step-by-Step
Start by adding all of the ingredients into a medium sized mixing bowl.
Stir all of the ingredients together until a shaggy dough ball is formed. Don’t worry about trying to form it, it can stay roughly shaped,
Cover the bowl of dough with plastic wrap. This helps to create humidity and will bring out the water in it. Set in a warm draft free place for 2-3 hours or until doubled in size. I like to let it sit on the stove top with the light on.
Just before the 2-3 hours is up, put a Dutch oven in the oven and turn the temperature up to 445 degrees Fahrenheit. Let the Dutch oven sit in there while it preheats.
After 2-3 hours when the dough has doubled, dump it onto a lightly floured work surface and begin to shape it into a ball.
The dough ball won’t be anything tight and may spread a little once it has sat for a few minutes but that is okay!
Once the oven is preheated, remove the Dutch oven, flour the bottom of it, and place your bread in. Bake for 25 minutes with the lid on and 10 minutes with the lid off. Let cool before slicing. Enjoy!
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp (1 packet) active dry yeast
- 2 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups warm water
- Combine all of the ingredients into a medium sized mixing bowl. Mix until a shaggy dough is formed.
- Cover with plastic wrap and let sit for at least 2 hours and up to 3 hours. The dough should be doubled inside.
- Once dough is almost done rising, preheat your oven to 445 Fahrenheit with a Dutch oven inside.
- Lightly flour your work surface and dump dough onto it. Create a dough ball by lightly folding each side into the center. The dough ball won't be too tight and may spread easily but that is okay. It doesn't need to be perfect.
- Once oven is done preheating, flour your Dutch oven and place dough ball inside.
- Bake with the lid on for 25 minutes, remove the lid, and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Let cool before cutting into it. Enjoy!
If you made this recipe we would love to know! Leave a comment down below and tell us how it went!