A wooden cutting board and wooden utensils will last a very long time with great care! Here are some ways that I like to care for those wood products in our kitchen.
I don’t know about you, but I use my wood cutting boards and wood utensils every single day multiple times a day. They constantly touch loads of fresh veggies, breads, herbs, and more! Cleaning your wooden boards and utensils after each use is a great thing to do. Please keep doing that! However, there are things you can add into your routine that will help your wood products even more.
Benefits of Using Wooden Cutting Boards
Before we get into the proper ways to clean them, let’s talk about the benefits of even using them.
- They are durable. Wooden cutting boards can last years and years with the proper care.
- Easy on knives. Unlike other materials of cutting boards, wooden cutting boards won’t dull the blades on your knives.
- They are safe. When you have a high-quality wooden cutting board, it actually prevents bacteria.
- They are aesthetically pleasing. This one is kind of an obvious, but they are very beautiful cutting boards and add great decor to your home!
Benefits of Using Wooden Utensils
There are also great benefits to using wooden utensils within your daily cooking.
- Doesn’t alter food taste. Many different materials can alter the taste of food. However, wooden utensils do not change the taste of our food at all when the two touch.
- Heat resistant. When using plastic utensils, there is a risk of them melting when touching too high of heat. You don’t have to worry about that when it comes to using wooden utensils.
- Scratch resistant. Wooden spoons and spatulas are gentle on your pans and will not scratch them.
You may be wondering why I would even bother with telling you the benefits of using wooden products. Because let’s be honest, if you are reading this post you probably have wooden utensils or cutting boards and love them. Although, if you knew all about their benefits, it may give you a little more motivation to properly care for them. Now, let’s get into the actual care part!
How to Clean Your Wooden Cutting Board
There are many different ways to clean a wooden cutting board and for many different reasons. The way I am going to show you how to today, is great to get out hard stains and having more of an even coloring on your wooden board. It is also great for sanitary purposes. To have natural cleaning agents seep into your cutting board and get rid of all the other juices that may be taking over from long term use.
To start, you will need some salt and half of a lemon. The salt can be coarse or not, it really doesn’t matter. Also, make sure before you do this process, your board is clean and has been washed with hot water and soap.
Take the salt and sprinkle it on the cutting board.
Then, taking the half of a lemon, massage that over the cutting board and the salt, squeezing the lemon as you go so the juice gets out.
Let the board sit with the salt and lemon juice on for 5 minutes.
Lastly, rinse the board and let it fully dry. Enjoy having a fresh and clean board!
Repeat this as often as desired.
How to Clean Wooden Utensils
To clean your wooden spoons and other utensils, you will need some warm water, distilled white vinegar, and some baking soda.
Start by filling your sink or a large bowl with equal parts warm water to distilled white vinegar.
Let the wooden spoons sit in the soak for about 15 minutes.
After the 15 minutes is up, sprinkle about a tablespoon of baking soda into the water and vinegar mixture. Let sit for another 10 minutes.
Once the 10 minutes are up, lay your spoons out on a thick towel and let them air dry.
Repeat this process monthly or as often as desired!
If you give this a try at home, let us know how clean your wooden cutting boards and spoons are!